Saturday, November 28, 2009

Embarking on Action Research

How may using an action research approach help you address issues of social justice, multicultural perspectives, or the marginalization of students in your current or future work?

18 comments:

  1. This article not only was interesting because it summed up everything we have talked about over the past 13 weeks or so but it also took us into a real classroom that had a real issue. Readers of this article were able to discover how one teacher found learners who were disinterested in math topics and get them interested, performing better, and reducing gaps in knowledge.

    In order to consider research action research, one has to observe a problem and try to bring about meaningful change. It seems to me that the action research articles we've read and the excerpts we've looked at and discussed have all had to do with minorities, different cultures, or unfairness, which goes along with the topics of social justice and multicultural education. I think sometimes there are many who believe that action research can only be used to help provide equal opportunities and fair chances for all, based on what we've looked at in this class. I think to a point it does, but one does not have to focus just on the big issues. There may be other important issues that might be hidden behind the bigger issues in a classroom that are worth investigating as well.

    Since an action research involves identifying a problem and developing a plan of action, I could easily find something in my classroom to investigate. For example, I teach Science to three different homeroom classes every Tuesday and Thursday. I often wonder how I can get each class to perform the same. There is often a gap between averages of the grades from one homeroom to another. Although it would take a long time to figure out the exact focus of the research, I do think that I could learn a few things about the students I teach and bring about change that will better their 3rd Grade Science experience that will hopefully result in more retainment of the material as they move into the older grades.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with how you stated that we have looked at action research that has dealt with minorities, different cultures, and unfairness. These are important issues that I feel action research can help if done correctly. I have taught 3rd grade for awhile. Every year, even though I use the same materials to teach, I find myself adjusting to the learning styles and levels of each class. There are gaps, just like you stated. I think every teacher could find something in his/her classroom to do action research on. Children change from year to year. If every teacher did some form of action research every year, it would be interesting to see how a class changed or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that action research is an important part being a social justice advocate. It is our responsibility to make sure that students leave the classroom being able to be successful in the outside world. It is also important as special educators that we make sure that all students from various disabilities and backgrounds have access to the same curriculum.
    I agree with Judy that action research is important if it is done correctly. I have students from various academic levels each year; I think it would be good for me to use action research to how I have met the needs of these students. I think it would also be good to show administrators the importance of providing materials to meet the student’s needs.
    I like Colleen's idea about having her third graders all perform the same with the same subject. I have various levels for my social science class and I am still working on how to improve to make sure that all students will be able to work at the same level to hopefully retain the information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the article Embarking on Action it discussed how she identified a problem of non-engagement in instruction. I see a similar problem in my class, although it depends on the day, time, and subject. As I get to know my students better, I know who to pose problems to about shark teeth and guinea pigs (I teach 3rd grade). Another idea I ganed from this article was to group them and give them different prompts. I continually like to gain new insight, in areas that my students are lacking in. Right now I have been doing research on narrative writing. I find ideas and suggestions that match my needs, try it out, collect data (assessments), and reflect. I guess without knowing it, I informally go through the action research process frequently. In addressing diverse learners with different interests I am providing differentiated instruction for various (multicultural) learners. Also actively seeking new ideas to benefit students and help them to be more successful, is being an advocate for each childs' success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the classes that I work in are made up of students who are margainilized for one reason or another. Before taking this class I never realized how much we actually are conducting action research on a small scale. We are always looking for ways to help our students who come to class with a range of different issues, from personal to academic. We find out as much as we can about their backgrounds so we can use that to prepare our lessons.

    It seems from the feedback we get from talking to the students that other teachers are not taking an interest in what they want or where their needs may lie. If you want to reach the students that seem unreachable you have to find a "way in". What will help then connect to you as a teacher and to the material being taught. Through small "action" research endeavors we have come up with several different ways to meet the needs of our students.

    We have found that a huge motivator in our classrooms is food. A lot of our students do not eat at all or are just always hungry! When behavior was an issue we implemented a behavior system driven by food to see if we can keep them on task. In the process we discovered that as some of them began to focus and do better in the class, they became more confident and began to participate more. So had we not been willing to try something new even as small as it may seem we may not have seen these results.

    The most important thing is that we never give up and we always look for ways to reach our students. I can guarantee that in every group there is a way to get the students to be successful. Trying some action research in your classroom is a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A short time ago, WGN News reported that a ‘discipline gap’ exists between white students and their Hispanic and African-American peers:

    CHICAGO - A new report says, minority students in Illinois public schools are far more likely than white students to be suspended or expelled.

    The Associated Press studied state records, and found a startling racial gap. Between 1999 and last year, expulsions of white students rose 16 percent; but expulsions of black students jumped 56 percent, and there was an 81 percent increase in expulsions of Hispanic students.

    The gap is even more pronounced, in student suspensions in the suburbs. Over the past nine years, suspensions of white students actually fell modestly, while suspensions of black students almost doubled.

    Experts say racial bias may play a part; but they also blame the gap on cultural differences between students and teachers, and problems with classroom management.

    It would be interesting to conduct some action research on this topic. The research question might delve into the differences in communication style and behavior that may exist between different racial and ethnic groups as a possible cause of this inequity. One could use the different sampling techniques to tally positive and negative interactions between predominantly white teachers and their students; differing behavior patterns among students could also be recorded. From the data, any bias in discipline procedures could be detected. Students and teachers could also be interviewed to gain some insight into why certain behaviors occur, whether or not discipline is the result of miscommunications, misconceptions, or bias, etc. At the conclusion of the research cycle, stakeholders would be informed as to why the ‘discipline gap’ likely exists. Future professional development sessions could emphasize more productive communication between teachers and students from minority ethnic and racial groups, as well as suggestions for modifying classroom management techniques for more equitable outcomes. One envisions a form of ‘differentiated discipline,’ akin to differentiated instruction, emerging from such research.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found this article to summarize what we have been learning about action research. I really like how it laid out this teacher’s plan for the readers to see the steps. Action research helps teacher’s become better social justice advocates by providing data to support a needed change to meet the needs of a particular group of students. Learning about action research has opened my mind to research in the classroom and I know that data is needed to help with change. I can now properly go through the steps of action research to help meet the needs of my students and be a better social justice advocate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its interesting to hear everyone discuss "gaps" in learning. Currently I am student teaching in a very wealthy area. Many of the students have previously attended a montessori school. As a result there are HUGE gaps in their skils compared to their peers. This creates a problem in the classroom. I actually passed this article out to some of the teachers because it provided a great example.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also wanted to comment about Math classes and the lack of engagement in them. When I was reading this article, I immediatly thought about the math courses the students at my school take. The students in these classrooms are daydreaming half of the time because they have NO idea what is going on. The teacher is moving so fast they get lost rather quickly. I thought it would be interesting to see how different techniques could help engage some of the students in the classroom while also closing some of the gaps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Action research is no static, instead it is dynamic and forever evolving, just like our students. We need to remember that every students is unique and their data counts. If reviewing the data, we see students struggling with the norm of the class, we need to reach them. If we see a whole class struggleing we need to do more.... Because a teacher will continuously monitor their teaching and will not allow students of any kind to get behind or forgotton. The data collected will allow for a teacher to advocate for what is in the best interest of a student. The data will be fact driven, instead of basing information on a gut instinct. This type of work will allow us to watch every student grow, from their BASELINE up. Instead of the classroom norm and up. How great is that!!!
    Judy wouldn't our schools be a different place if all teachers conducted action research in their class. Teachers would have to own up to their actions and not blame failure of success only on their students. SM: finding a "way in" is essential to working with each and every child is the way to go. You are right on the money. We must find where the kids are (baseline) and then find out what motivates them to learn. We must invest time in our students as people and not just a student in our classroom. Max your article about the CPS system is very interesting and would be exceiting to see the research. Because of the racial topic, do you see this type of research being sensitve to those who are particpating? I do, however the research is very much necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that every teacher can find some issue or aspect of multiculturalism or social justice to use for action research in their classroom. We are a very diverse country and our finding classrooms that reflect that. Students come from different ethnic, social and economic backgrounds as well as the type of ethical and moral teaching they are getting. All these differences make it very interesting to create a harmonious environment but conducting action research when there is a problem is a great way to get students involved and thinking about ways they can feel safe and have ownership in their own classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a social justice advocate I think it is important to use action research as a backbone of proving what we want to advocate for a student. People are more apt to pay attention if we have actual data to back up what we are saying.
    I agree with Michelle when she says we need to use data we collect as a way of looking at students that are outside of the norm and finding ways to reach them.
    I also agree with Judy when she says children change from year to year. That is so true! So by conducting action research each year we could be finding the right ways to reach those particular students for that year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This article summed up the key points I have taken away from this class. Action research within the classroom is completely doable if you follow the process correctly. Start with an area you feel needs focus, make a plan, collect your data, see what results you found, see what connections you have, and form a new plan. To me action research is a tool to create more effective instructions and strategies for your individual classroom. You find what areas need to looked at more closely and make the connections to what steps can be taken to move things into a more positive direction.

    I agree with Ashley, Michelle, and Judy in that we need to use our research as a way to create effective instruction for the students we are teaching now. The techniques we have used in the past may not be effective for every type of student. As educators we need to understand how to provide effective instruction for all of our students. In doing this we may need to step out of our comfort zone and teach using new techniques and materials.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with jholle in that the article provides a nice guideline. As beginning teachers I think that it is hard to find resources and support so this will definately help in the future. It can also be helpful to more veteran teachers that may have forgotten the importance of research and that you can make a difference even if it is in just your own classroom.

    I also agree with the comments about social justice advocacy. It is something that we have talked about in our education classes here at Lewis. It is important that we think about how things affect our students and that we are doing things for the betterment of all of them and not just a select few. We have to be more than just teachers I don't think we have a choice. We are the voice of our students and we have the opportunity to make some great changes in our schools.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Amy and a few others. The basis of action research aligns perfectly with the philosophies of Lewis University's College of Education. We aren't educators unless we implement action research to the benefit of all. To be a true social justice advocate, a critically transformative and multicultural educator, one cannot ignore action research. The acticle simple outlined our class syllabus. It is refreshing to find solid and exciting research in our arena! The opportunities are endless for all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’ll agree that action research would be a great way to find methods which meet the instructional needs of students from minority ethnic and racial groups, but there’s no need to reinvent the wheel. There are a myriad of research-based pedagogical practices that accomplish this goal already described in the literature. I like The Journal of Chemical Education, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, Journal of Science Education and Technology, and American Biology Teacher. I imagine there are similar journals available for each subject area.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Max, there is so much already that has been researched, why reinvent the wheel? Much of the researched curriculum school are using has low, medium, and high lesson plans. What I love about the article is it did a nice job in outlining the steps to solving an issue, however Janice Templeton took it to the next level. As a student teacher, I found a majority of the students in my class were able to follow the given lessons. However, for those students who stuggled, I differentiated the instruction, pulling other resources in. Basically, I "custom-made" the curriculum for those particluar students and worked with them until they understood the lesson and were able to move on. To me, this is what a social justice advocate,a critically transformative and multicultural educator is; we work with students on a case-by-case level, always checking for understanding and thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let me know if any of you conduct research and want some help writing it up for presentation or publication!

    ReplyDelete